When should I consider filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy?
Chapter 13 is usually preferable for a person who:
• wishes to repay all or most of his or her unsecured debts and has the income with which to do so within a reasonable time;
• has significant tax obligations and needs an efficient and effective way or resolving those debts;
• is past due no mortgage or car payments and needs an opportunity to get current;
• has valuable nonexempt property which would be lost in a chapter 7 case;
• is not eligible for a discharge under chapter 7, but still needs relief from creditors;
• has one or more substantial debts that are dischargeable only under chapter 13; or
• has sufficient assets with which to repay most debts, but needs temporary relief from creditors in order to do so.