What should the debtor do if he or she moves while the case is pending?


The debtor should immediately notify the Bankruptcy Court and the chapter 13 trustee in writing of the new address. Most communications in a chapter 13 case are by mail, and if the debtor fails to receive an order of the Court or a notice from the chapter 13 trustee because of an incorrect address, the case may be dismissed. More importantly, however, is the fact that any move will likely mean substantial changes to your budget. You will need to review your bankruptcy schedules and your chapter 13 plan to see what has changed. At this point you will likely need to modify your chapter 13 plan. Try to accomplish before you move as the relief requested might require a hearing.